Link out for a great summary of the scifi/fantasy/horror horizon for this new year. Reading through the list, I noticed four odd trends, and one great one:
- Fairytale reinterpretations – We already have TV’s Once Upon a Time and Grimm, now the big screen is getting in on the act with at least four new movies (including two versions of Snow White).
- Old franchise revivals – New installments and reinventions take a shot at beating new life into dead horses such as: Men In Black, GI Joe, Spider-Man, Resident Evil, Halloween, Amityville Horror, Total Recall, and Red Dawn.
- Continuing not one, but three of the recently played out trends: Superheroes, Vampires, and Zombies.
- Potter alums Daniel Radcliffe, Tom Felton, Robert Pattinson, and director Alfonso Cuaron are all taking another ride on the supernatural side this year.
- My favourite trend: cool directors doing genre stuff:
- Christopher Nolan – Dark Knight Rises
- Tarsem Singh – Mirror Mirror
- Ang Lee – Life of Pi
- Sam Mendes – Skyfall (i.e. new James Bond)
- Tom Tykwer – Cloud Atlas
- Joss Whedon – Avengers
- Timur Bekmambetov – Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter
- Bryan Singer – Jack the Giant Killer
- Peter Jackson – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
That last one, plus The Hunger Games, are probably my two most anticipated movies this year (though many of those others are sounding pretty exciting too.)